Saturday 5 February 2011

Richard Sweeney Paper Workshop 2


In this piece I continued my experimentation with texture and cutout.
I creased the paper to create different sized rectangles and cut out randomly chosen areas before scoring curves lines and folding the paper.


I think that this structure resembles a shell. I started experimenting with scoring curved lines in the paper to create folds. I particularly like the way that manipulating the paper in this way has created highlights along the edges of the folds.


Here I started working on a pleating technique demonstrated by Richard Sweeney.
I found that this way of folding creates strength in the paper, making it easier to produce structural pieces.


I then went on to cut out each section of the pleats making the piece more delicate and creating a netted effect. I plan to experiment with and develop this technique, perhaps combining it with other types of folding.


2 comments: